Active Travel Fund
Essex has been awarded over £7million of government funding to develop safer, greener and healthier travel and transport locally as part of the Phase Two Active Travel Fund.
New cycling and walking routes will be delivered across five towns throughout 2021/22. All five schemes in Basildon (Wickford), Braintree, Brentwood, Chelmsford and Colchester are being developed in detail with the advice of local councils, councillors, businesses, cycling, access and other local interest groups.
The ambition underpinning each scheme is to reallocate road space, creating more space for walking and cycling. These schemes will change the way that you, the local residents, use and think about your streets and spend more time in them.
Your views are important to us. As we develop and introduce these schemes we will engage with residents and businesses on the routes affected, starting in spring 2021.
Read the summary of the Active Travel Phase two bid
Read our Active Travel Fund consultation plan.
In Phase One of the Active Travel Fund programme, we worked with district councils across Essex to implement on-street measures designed to make cities and town centre public spaces safer for people during the Covid-19 crisis.
Select the links below to see what was achieved to make each location safer, greener and healthier
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Basildon
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Braintree
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Brentwood
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Chelmsford
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Colchester
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Epping Forest
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Maldon
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Uttlesford
- Safer, Greener, Healthier Questions and Answers